Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 3- No Creative Title

This morning I woke up late. I'm really happy that they let me sleep through breakfast, I really think I needed it.

Then, we went to church. For three hours. I was actually a bit nervous about that because I barely make it through hour long church services without yawning, and this one was in another language! It was amazingly fun though anyway. The kids in front of us kept looking back at us and Gracie and one of the little boys had a weird face contest. He was also extremely interested in her braces. I didn't really mind that much that I couldn't understand anything, because just the way Pastor talked in such a passionate voice made you want to believe every single thing that came out of his mouth. The singing was absolutely beautiful and everyone was so into the service and participated so so much. We even got to go up to the front and get welcomed with a song! Everyone was smiling so big and clapping for us and singing amazingly and I loved it. Finally, I was extremely impressed at the fact that everyone could clap in perfect rhythm.

Next up, we went to Pastor Kumalo's house for lunch. His wife made the most amazing food ever, and it was very yummy. I loved listening to him tell us stories about things he went through when he was younger. He even got arrested the night before his wedding! He really has just the most amazing stories.

After that we went to Bothshebello. It was basically a park area with all sorts of historical things. It's in the area where a town was created by 2 missionaries. They went here to help christians have a safe environment to practice their faith without being persecuted. The town was made in the 1800's and it was completely self sufficient, which was awesome to me because at it's high point, it had 315 people living there. Then, we saw some traditional huts that were remade to teach people about what it was like back then to live there. Some of the huts seemed safer to live in then the houses at the township, which sorta bugged me because they weren't even being used for anything and they could totally move them in over there and they'd be so much safer and warmer. Something really cool I heard from Sam, Pastor's friend and our tour guide, was that the huts only took an hour to make. They actually looked really really good and that amazed me completely. Oh, and also the fact that in order to become a man you have to go out to a mountain and live there alone for 4 months and take care of yourself, and then if you survive and come back, you're a man. And, finally, that marriages are arranged and that the future husband has to buy gifts for the wife and all her friends and relatives, including like.. A bajillion cows.

This blog came out a bit longer then I thought, but everything was really important to me to add. I felt like God was there with me when I saw how enthusiastic everyone was at church and I felt extremely important and helpful when everyone kept wanting to talk to me and the group.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. What an amazing day. It would be interesting to find out if people think the houses they have are better than the old huts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, It sounds like it's turning into quite the adventure. Maybe even I would like 3 hours of church in another language. Also, I am so glad you are trying all the new foods and enjoying them. Get lots of rest for your Big day tomorrow. I bet the kids can't wait to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One last thing...How do you think Jimmy would do at the becoming a man part? Do you think he could survive the mountain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like this trip is amazing. Enjoy all of these life experiences. You will remember them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your experiences sound exciting and wonderful. You are making a lifetime of memories. Good luck tomorrow on your first day of classes. Looking forward to your next report!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading your adventures for day 3, you are a very good writer. Enjoy your 1st day of classes I know the kids will enjoy you.

    ReplyDelete